Definition of hornbeam in English:
A deciduous tree of north temperate regions, with oval serrated leaves, inconspicuous drooping flowers, and tough winged nuts. It yields hard pale timber.
- Genera Carpinus and Ostrya, family Betulaceae: several species, including the American hornbeam (C. caroliniana), the eastern (or hop) hornbeam (O. virginiana), and the European hornbeam (C. betulus)
- The forest has little undergrowth and is mainly composed of beech and pine, interspersed with a few oaks and hornbeams.
- He gives four options for the future of the hornbeams: remove the trees and replace them with a more suitable species; phase out the trees by removing two now and the remaining two five years later; thin the trees out or do nothing.
- But what is interesting for visitors is that the garden is still evolving: a gravel garden with silver plants is surrounded by a cloister of youthful hornbeams.
late Middle English: so named because of the tree's hard, close-grained wood.
Definition of hornbeam in:
- British & World English dictionary