Definition of hornbill in English:
A medium to large tropical Old World bird, having a very large curved bill that typically has a large horny or bony casque. The male often seals up the female inside the nest hole.
- Family Bucerotidae: several genera and numerous species, e.g., the great Indian hornbill (Buceros bicornis)
- Similar in appearance to ornamental features seen in birds like cassowaries and hornbills, the crest may have been used for display, the study team suggests.
- As a result, the hornbill project has to provide young hornbills with human-made nests.
- Despite the wonders of all these birds, the hornbills - large, black or brown and white, arboreal birds with long, heavy bills - were undoubtedly the highlights of our days.
Words that rhyme with hornbillstorksbill • shoebill
Definition of hornbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan