Definition of hornbill in English:
A medium to large tropical Old World bird, having a very large curved bill that typically has a large horny or bony casque. The male often seals up the female inside the nest hole.
- Family Bucerotidae: several genera and numerous species, e.g., the great Indian hornbill (Buceros bicornis)
- Similar in appearance to ornamental features seen in birds like cassowaries and hornbills, the crest may have been used for display, the study team suggests.
- As a result, the hornbill project has to provide young hornbills with human-made nests.
- Despite the wonders of all these birds, the hornbills - large, black or brown and white, arboreal birds with long, heavy bills - were undoubtedly the highlights of our days.
Words that rhyme with hornbillstorksbill • shoebill
Definition of hornbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.