Definition of horntail in English:
A large wasplike sawfly that deposits its eggs inside trees and timber. It has a long egg-laying tube but no sting. Also called woodwasp.
- Family Siricidae, suborder Symphyta, order Hymenoptera: several species
- There, the infant ichneumon secretes a paralyzing agent while it proceeds to eat the living horntail from the inside out.
- It could have been a horntail, which is actually a sawfly.
- In the home no control is necessary, as the horntails will not reinfest dried or seasoned wood or lumber.
Definition of horntail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.