Definition of horse race in English:
1A race between two or more horses ridden by jockeys.
- Nevertheless Gartside and Cervera, though technically neat, struggled to find the humour in dressing as jockeys riding a symbolic horse race from Siberia to Moscow.
- Competitors came from across Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba to compete in wild cow milking, team branding, team sorting, a ranch horse competition, horse race and bronc riding.
- In the chariot race or the horse race, they had a professional charioteer or professional jockey to ride them.
2A very close contest: eight hours after the polls closed, the election was still a horse race
More example sentences
- As the first horse race of the season draws close in Iowa, the whole machinery of political business as usual has clattered to life to chase after Howard Dean.
- Oh, no, no, because as much as we get criticized for concentrating on the horse race, when we don't concentrate on the horse race, people want to know about the horse race.
- It does mean that Keyes can make the race interesting; maybe even a real horse race, and that's no laughing matter for the Democrats.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.