Definition of horsefly in English:
noun (plural horseflies)
A stoutly built fly, the female of which is a bloodsucker and inflicts painful bites on horses and other mammals, including humans.
- Genus Tabanus, family Tabanidae: numerous species
- A bite from a horsefly can be very painful, can take a long time to heal and can lead to an infection.
- Try to avoid camping near water, such as ponds and swamps where insects such as mosquitoes and horseflies are commonly found.
- The horsefly's larva spirals up and down through soft mud, creating a cylindrical column in which it pupates.
Definition of horsefly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan