Definition of horseleech in English:
A large predatory leech of freshwater and terrestrial habitats that feeds on carrion and small invertebrates.
- Genus Haemopis, family Hirudidae
- These men were looked upon as ‘ravening wolves, horseleeches and shearers,’ from whom no man was safe.
- As the horseleech is never satisfied, often continuing to gorge itself until it bursts, so self-love is never contented, crying ‘Give, give.’
- Pistol once again brings attention to the seamy side of war, in his declaration that in France they will be like horseleeches, sucking blood.
Definition of horseleech in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia