Definition of horseradish in English:
1A European plant of the cabbage family, with long docklike leaves, grown for its pungent root.
- Armoracia rusticana, family Brassicaceae
- Did you know that the green part of the horseradish plant was one of the five bitter herbs served on the traditional Passover seder plate during the reading of the Haggadah?
- Interplant with horseradish, dead nettle, catnip, coriander, nasturtiums, and tansy.
- As soon as the soil can be worked, plant bare-root asparagus, horseradish, Jerusalem artichokes, and rhubarb.
1.1The root of the horseradish plant, which is scraped or grated as a condiment and often made into a sauce.
- I could barely detect the horseradish in the creamy bed of mashed potato, a more generous grating would have perked it up.
- Every time she dashed off saying: ‘Oooh, I forgot the horseradish, I'll be back in a minute ’, I contemplated the line of groceries and the possibility that she would never come back.
- Remove from the heat, add the horseradish, parsley, and garlic, and toss to combine.
Words that rhyme with horseradishhardish • reddish
Definition of horseradish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.