Definition of horseshoe in English:
1A shoe for a horse formed of a narrow band of iron in the form of an extended circular arc and secured to the hoof with nails.
- The Von Rogoff stable was almost twice as tall as any of the buildings nearby, hollow and hulking, with a deserted bird's nest tucked into the bend of the iron horseshoe nailed to the wood above the huge sliding door.
- On 5 November 1865 Jason Simpson informed the Chief Inspector of Police that there were no horseshoes or nails at their station.
- The dull thud of horse hooves on the packed earth changed suddenly to the loud clacking of iron horseshoes on a paved road.
1.1A shoe for a horse or a representation of one, regarded as bringing good luck.
- Logoed with an emblematic horseshoe, Aigner is an industry by-word for quality in lifestyle.
- They were not very varied in design and the emphasis was on good luck charms such as four-leaf clovers, horseshoes and wishbones, again set with tiny diamonds.
- We'll put a horseshoe over the arch of every door for good luck.
1.2Something resembling a horseshoe in shape: [as modifier]: a horseshoe bend
More example sentences
- The Curragh is a right-handed horseshoe shaped course with a circuit of two miles with no sharp bends and a straight run-in of three furlongs uphill.
- RVSD's physical boundaries form a horseshoe around the west, north and east boundaries of the City of Calgary.
- The shape doesn't matter, you can build a horseshoe or square shape.
1.3 (horseshoes) [treated as singular] chiefly North American A game in which horseshoes are thrown at a stake in the ground.
- Choose from billiards, horseshoes, tag games, hockey, Frisbee, tug of war, jump ropes, running, or bowling, just to name a few.
- That evening, while the ranch hands entertained themselves with games of horseshoes, Lennie stayed alone in the barn holding his pup.
- Other events include children's rodeo, pool tournament, horseshoes and bingo.
Words that rhyme with horseshoeHonshu • snowshoe
Definition of horseshoe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan