Definition of horseshoe crab in English:
A large marine arthropod with a domed horseshoe-shaped shell, a long tail-spine, and ten legs, little changed since the Devonian.
- Class Merostomata, subphylum Chelicerata: four species, in particular the North American Limulus polyphemus
- Many arthropods are also present including the horseshoe crab Mesolimulus and the crayfish Mecochirus.
- Where space permits, oysters and jingle shells sometimes anchor themselves to the horseshoe crab.
- The horseshoe crab, which is not really a crab but more closely related to scorpions and spiders, has been described as an armored box that moves.
Definition of horseshoe crab in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan