Definition of horsetail in English:
A nonflowering plant with a hollow jointed stem that bears whorls of narrow leaves, producing spores in cones at the tips of the shoots.
- Genus Equisetum, the only surviving genus of the family Equisetaceae and class Sphenopsida, division Pteridophyta
- During the Carboniferous the climate was hot and humid, and there were extensive swampy forests dominated by giant tree ferns and conifers, club mosses, and horsetails.
- Seed-producing plants are probably the most familiar plants to most people, unlike mosses, liverworts, horsetails, and most other seedless plants which are overlooked because of their size or inconspicuous appearance.
- By the end of the Devonian, ferns, horsetails and seed plants had also appeared, producing the first trees and the first forests.
Words that rhyme with horsetailfolktale • swallowtail
Definition of horsetail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.