Definition of horsetail in English:
A nonflowering plant with a hollow jointed stem that bears whorls of narrow leaves, producing spores in cones at the tips of the shoots.
- Genus Equisetum, the only surviving genus of the family Equisetaceae and class Sphenopsida, division Pteridophyta
- During the Carboniferous the climate was hot and humid, and there were extensive swampy forests dominated by giant tree ferns and conifers, club mosses, and horsetails.
- Seed-producing plants are probably the most familiar plants to most people, unlike mosses, liverworts, horsetails, and most other seedless plants which are overlooked because of their size or inconspicuous appearance.
- By the end of the Devonian, ferns, horsetails and seed plants had also appeared, producing the first trees and the first forests.
Words that rhyme with horsetailfolktale • swallowtail
Definition of horsetail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan