- An eastern Asian plant cultivated in the West for its shade-tolerant foliage and loose clusters of tubular mauve or white flowers. Also called plantain lily.
More example sentences
- Genus Hosta (formerly Funkia), family Liliaceae
- Lift and divide overcrowded clumps of perennials, including campanulas, daylilies, hostas, peonies, sedums, and Shasta daisies.
- Covering the hillside around the patio is a tapestry of astilbes, azaleas, campanulas, ferns, hellebores, hostas, Japanese maples, moss, and rhododendrons.
- Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.
modern Latin, named after Nicolaus T. Host (1761–1834), Austrian physician.
More definitions of hostaDefinition of hosta in:
- The British & World English dictionary