Definition of hot rod in English:
A motor vehicle that has been specially modified to give it extra power and speed.
- This very popular one-day show is in its 14th year and gets bigger and better every time with a variety of street machines, vintage and veteran cars, hot rods, bikes and special interest vehicles.
- The event is open to American classic cars and hot rods from 6.30 pm to 9.00 pm.
- Then we have the groups who believe street rods, hot rods, muscle cars, or antiques are the way to go.
verb(hot-rod) (hot rods, hot rodding, hot rodded) Back to top
1 [no object] Drive a hot rod.
- They're neither fast enough to inspire hot-rodding, nor large enough to be used as party cruisers.
- This new style of hot-rodding is what brings the automakers, all of them intent on capturing these enthusiasts - many with their parents' large disposable incomes - as customers.
- If you look deeply into the entire automotive scene the new craze in imports really isn't that different than the early days of hot-rodding.
2 [with object] Modify (a vehicle or other device) to make it faster or more powerful.
- Some sort of anodised aluminium encases the new 64-bit G5 processor which has been hot-rodded by the addition of a second floating point unit and a few other tweaks.
- I tracked using my old Fender Princeton and favorite hot-rodded Strat, experimenting with amp positions, as well as checking the system with vocals.
- Is there a place on the pop charts for a hand playing hot-rodded country music?
hot rodder (also hot-rodder) noun
- Example sentences
- Attention was also paid to the Charger SRT8's exhaust note, which produces a growl that will intimidate just about any hot-rodder.
- It's a good compromise that offers many safety and performance benefits, especially if you live in an area that has snow, rain and squirrely hot-rodders with a few license points to spare.
- A new breed of enthusiast customized his car to make it faster, then attempted to prove his bravery and workmanship by racing against fellow hot-rodders on back roads or dry lake beds.
Definition of hot rod in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan