verb[with object] informal
Fit or replace (a computer part) with the power still connected.
- The Evo D500 line also features a MultiBay for hot-swapping removable storage devices such as floppy disk, CD-ROM, CD-RW or DVD drives.
- They also offer failover mechanisms, such as redundant hot-swap robotics, power supplies and drives.
- A disk failure is now an afterthought, with customer-serviceable hot-swap disk drives, global hot spares, and algorithms to predict when a disk is going to fail before it actually fails so that it can be replaced ahead of time.
- Example sentences
- Four standard hot-swappable Ultra 320 SCSI drive bays are available for more than 570GB of internal storage.
- The system can support up to 16 hot-swappable Serial ATA and SCSI hard disk drives.
- Either way, the HDD inside is specified to be bootable and hot-swappable.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hot-swap in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.