(also houbara bustard)
Definition of houbara in English:
A bustard of arid open country and semidesert, found from the Canary Islands to central Asia and threatened by hunting.
- Chlamydotis undulata, family Otidae
- Superbly adapted to arid environments, wild houbaras do not need to drink water but manage to get all the moisture they need from their food.
- Her foxiness must have left a lasting impression on the young houbaras, because significantly more birds in the ‘trained’ group survived.
- The captive-bred houbaras missed out on these lessons, and many paid the price.
Definition of houbara in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan