1A brand name used exclusively by a retailer (or a selected group of retailers) for a product or line of products that are typically sold for prices lower than that of comparable items with manufacturer brand names.
- Last year, the supermarket needed a new soft drink quickly for its house brand.
- The company founders' descendants have collectively owned the licence to manufacturer mattresses and house brand bedding in Australia for more than 60 years.
- Diphenhydramine is found in many over-the-counter products, including house brand allergy pills.
1.1A product bearing a brand name used by the retailer and sold for a lower price: don’t get the expensive coffee, get the house brand
More example sentences
- Premium branded milk is always higher than house brands.
- The brands were expensive, the basic house brands were inexpensive.
- How can I compare price on a house brand if I don't have that brand name to stack it up against?
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: house brand
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.