Definition of houseleek in English:
A succulent plant with rosettes of fleshy leaves and small pink flowers. Houseleeks grow on walls and roofs, and are popular cultivated plants.
- Sempervivum and related genera, family Crassulaceae: several species, in particular S. tectorum
- Try the black-leaved Ophiopogon planiscapus ‘Nigrescens’ with houseleeks Sempervivum planted underneath.
- Sempervivums, also known as ‘hen and chicks ‘or houseleeks, are a common garden succulent whose leaves are quite tasty raw or lightly cooked.’
- The cobweb houseleek Sempervivum arachnoideum has a fine covering of downy white hairs and is a good contrast to the darker forms.
Definition of houseleek in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.