- (In South Asia) a seat for riding on the back of an elephant or camel, typically with a canopy and accommodating two or more people.More example sentences
- The umpire of the game oversees the play from a wooden howdah (bench type seat) on the back of the largest elephant.
- In Jodhpur, the finely restored Meherangarh Fort offers a fascinating glimpse into the old Maharajas' lifestyles, with decorative elephant howdahs and family cradles on display.
- Riding a six-tusked elephant on a howdah of lotus flowers, the huge tenth-century statue of Bodhisattva Puxian stands in its own hall and is among the most revered shrines on Emei.
from Urdu haudah, from Arabic hawdaj 'litter'.
More definitions of howdahDefinition of howdah in:
- The British & World English dictionary