- An informal friendly greeting, particularly associated with the western states: howdy, strangerMore example sentences
- But, the very best gift of all is knowing that I have a dear friend who took time to write and say howdy!
- But if you are patient, the timeless things - a friendly wave, a seat and a howdy at the breakfast counter, the sounds of nothing much happening - can be yours.
- On the way home, I was walking down 7th and happened to glance into a diner as I passed and spotted Erica from work, so I popped in to say howdy.
early 19th century: alteration of how d'ye.
More definitions of howdyDefinition of howdy in:
- The British & World English dictionary