Definition of however in English:
- Live, however, the contrasting styles of the two albums meet perfectly in the middle.
- The contrary view, however, is that granite is a mixture of crustal and mantle sources.
- As neither is a centrally contracted player, however, the club will have a say in the matter.
- I do know that whatever we decide and however we do things, many people will be disappointed.
- Anyway, however it comes about, a big grin and a warm glow are jolly good things!
- However it happens, once you know the score you need to start work immediately to fight back.
- She knows that readers respond not to dry arguments, however true, but to human stories.
- By all means stand by your article, however offensive some may find it, as long as it is based on fact or logic.
- It has to be done at the time, whatever the conditions and however tired, wet and cold people may be.
When ever is used as an intensifier after how, what, when, where, or why, it should be separated by a space. Thus, how ever did you find her? could be rephrased, with no change of meaning, how did you ever find her? This rule tends to be more often followed—or more widely understood—in Britain than in the US. However in the sense of ‘no matter how’ ( however gently you correct him, Peter always takes offense) should be spelled as one word. See also whatever (usage).
Words that rhyme with howeverclever, endeavour (US endeavor), ever, forever, howsoever, never, never-never, sever, Trevor, whatever, whatsoever, whenever, whensoever, wheresoever, wherever, whichever, whichsoever, whoever, whomever, whomsoever, whosoever
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.