- A short gun for firing shells on high trajectories at low velocities.More example sentences
- By the end of the war he had a million men, two-thirds of whom had not yet seen action, and new machine guns, artillery including howitzers, with growing numbers of shells and even wireless supplies.
- For the first time since the U.S. deployment, the factions use their heavy weapons systems: howitzers, heavy machine guns, mortars, and even a few older-model tanks.
- They also offer a look into little-known innovations, such as precision artillery shells for howitzers developed for the US Army.
late 17th century: from Dutch houwitser, from German Haubitze, from Czech houfnice 'catapult'.
More definitions of howitzerDefinition of howitzer in:
- The British & World English dictionary