Definition of huckleberry in English:
noun (plural huckleberries)
- These include berries, especially huckleberries, fruits, nuts, bulbs, and tubers.
- We have feasted not only on blackberries but also on huckleberries, plums, apples, lamb's quarters, and dandelions.
- In a saucepan, combine the huckleberries, elderfloxver syrup, and lemon juice.
- Genus Gaylussacia, family Ericaceae: several species, including the common black huckleberry (G. baccata)
- Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.
- Recently, volunteer crews dug up a variety of forest plants including huckleberry, sword fern, deer fern and maple vine from the low elevation filtration site.
- It was a wilderness of cathedral-like redwoods, of ferns and huckleberries, oaks and stately firs, and a myriad of flowers and wildlife.
Late 16th century: probably originally a dialect name for the blueberry (though early evidence is lacking), from dialect huckle 'hip, haunch' (because of the plant's jointed stems).
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.