- Leon's sister Helene Mar had herself acted in the silent film era, then spent the rest of her life creating artistes - her hugger-mugger brother, her daughters, who became dancers, and pre-eminently, Johnny.
- It has taken a little over a fortnight for a large group of adults to regress to that institutional hugger-mugger one first encountered at boarding school at the age of eight.
- A hugger-mugger horizontal tenement of ugly, awkward, moulded plastic bathroom fittings bobbing in cess.
- He successfully pursued this hugger-mugger strategy in 1810.
- I hated going hugger-mugger in the car because I wanted to read and this was impossible with elbows and knees stuck across your face.
- It is a hugger-mugger bubbling pot of intrigue, smuggling, poverty, filth and some of the best food in Asia.
- The room is a hugger-mugger of tables with a bar, and pictures of Iberians in pink knickerbockers doing painful things to ungulates.
- A few degrees left, and the hugger-mugger of the Old Town resolved itself into an open garret window here, with orange curtains, or there, a ladder leaning precipitously from a roof up onto a disorderly row of chimney pots.
- And the plot wandered and annoyed, piling on new mystical hugger-mugger… but when it came to the end, it hit me like an anvil in the sternum.
- After Polonius and Ophelia have both died violently and been buried ‘in hugger-mugger,’ as Claudius tells Gertrude, the mistreatment of the dead is shocking indeed.
- This may have helpfully covered up some of the (to rephrase Proust) intermittences of the art, but it also increased the sense of hugger-mugger.
Early 16th century (sense 2 of the noun): probably related to huddle and to dialect mucker 'hoard money, conceal'. This is one of a number of similar formations from late Middle English to the 16th century, including hucker-mucker and hudder-mudder, with the basic sense 'secrecy, concealment'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.