- Retaining or preserving moisture.More example sentences
- He also warns against using humectant moisturizers near your eyes; these products bind water to help keep skin hydrated but can have the side effect of creating puffy eyes.
- Classified as humectants, they have benefits in addition to humectant properties.
- And adding a humectant ingredient, such as glycerin, helps to draw needed moisture to the skin.
nounBack to top
- A substance, especially a skin lotion or a food additive, used to reduce the loss of moisture.More example sentences
- Hand lotions or skin moisturizers are either humectants or lipids.
- The humectants hold moisture in contact with the skin.
- Another alternative is to use humectants, which prevent water loss by attracting moisture.
early 19th century (denoting a moistening agent): from Latin humectant- 'moistening', from the verb humectare, from humectus 'moist, wet', from humere 'be moist'.
More definitions of humectantDefinition of humectant in:
- The British & World English dictionary