1 (also humpback whale) A baleen whale that has a hump (instead of a dorsal fin) and long white flippers. It is noted for its lengthy vocalizations or “songs.”.
- Megaptera novaeangliae, family Balaenopteridae
More example sentences
- Visitors to the site where a humpback whale beached itself at the weekend were shocked to discover the mammal had already been put down yesterday.
- The humpback whale creates the most complex, long-lasting, repetitive sound patterns of any non-human animal on our planet.
- For a musician it would be difficult, if not impossible, to define the sounds of the humpback whale without using musical terms.
- More example sentences
- And you can end up looking like a hunchback: The incline platform prods you into a humpbacked posture.
- Camel racing, a favorite pastime in the Middle East, has taken flack from human-rights advocates for the young boys imported to jockey the humpbacked desert beasts.
- The humpbacked gardener emptied the saucepan onto the roots of the flame trees, his favorites, and doused them with water drawn from the river several miles away.
Definition of humpback in:
- The British & World English dictionary