Definition of hundredweight in English:
noun (plural same or hundredweights)
1.1 (also short hundredweight) US (In the US) equal to 100 lb avoirdupois (about 45.4 kg).
- The castings produced by them can vary in weight from ounces up to several hundredweights.
- As a harsh winter lingered, blocking the trade routes to the territory, prices rose steadily and eventually reached a hundred dollars for a hundredweight of flour.
- There's been years when the price differential is $8 or $10 a hundredweight.
1.2 (also metric hundredweight) (In the metric system) equal to 50 kg.
- Whether a metric hundredweight of wheat is exchanged for a gramme or a kilogramme of gold does not in the least depend upon conditions inherent in that wheat or gold.
- The St. Peter's bell, 24 tons in weight and with a clapper which alone weighs 16 metric hundredweight, is the largest swinging bell in the world.
- The letter described a celebration in a parish district where a calf of 3 metric hundredweight was roasted.
1.3 (also long hundredweight) (In the UK) equal to 112 lb avoirdupois (about 50.8 kg).
- It weighs about a hundredweight and it took two of us to get it back into place after it had been repaired.
- Her dad may have owned the business, she says, but he still carried hundredweights of coal on his back.
- Frank is pictured with a hundredweight of butter - or 224 packs - and that represents the weight he has shed in 12 months.
Words that rhyme with hundredweightbantamweight
Definition of hundredweight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan