Definition of hyacinth in English:
1A bulbous plant of the lily family, with straplike leaves and a compact spike of bell-shaped fragrant flowers. Native to western Asia, hyacinths are cultivated outdoors and as houseplants.
- Genus Hyacinthus, family Liliaceae: several species, in particular H. orientalis, from which the common large-flowered cultivars are derived
- The miracle of spring flowers such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and lilies is even more astounding when one realizes how they reach the bloom stage each year.
- Fall is the season to plant trees, turf grasses and spring-blooming flower bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and crocuses.
- Spring-flowering bulbs such as tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, daffodils, and irises are universal symbols of spring.
1.1A light purplish-blue color typical of some hyacinth flowers.
- Given over entirely to a celebration of painting, it is more or less bisected at a diagonal of golden russet dappling on a field of hyacinth blue, and suffused with ambient light.
- Colour is inspired by spring flowers - daffodil yellow, light green, lilac and hyacinth blues or blossom pinks.
Definition of hyacinth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan