Definition of hyacinth in English:
1A bulbous plant of the lily family, with straplike leaves and a compact spike of bell-shaped fragrant flowers. Native to western Asia, hyacinths are cultivated outdoors and as houseplants.
- Genus Hyacinthus, family Liliaceae: several species, in particular H. orientalis, from which the common large-flowered cultivars are derived
- The miracle of spring flowers such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and lilies is even more astounding when one realizes how they reach the bloom stage each year.
- Fall is the season to plant trees, turf grasses and spring-blooming flower bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and crocuses.
- Spring-flowering bulbs such as tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, daffodils, and irises are universal symbols of spring.
1.1A light purplish-blue color typical of some hyacinth flowers.
- Given over entirely to a celebration of painting, it is more or less bisected at a diagonal of golden russet dappling on a field of hyacinth blue, and suffused with ambient light.
- Colour is inspired by spring flowers - daffodil yellow, light green, lilac and hyacinth blues or blossom pinks.
Definition of hyacinth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.