- An upright water pipe, especially one in a street, with a nozzle to which a fire hose can be attached.More example sentences
- Firefighters lost precious time hooking up their hoses to three fire hydrants on two different streets before finding one that worked.
- Strewn across the street were the bodies of policemen and firemen; a hose snaked down the street from a hydrant out of sight, spouting water with nobody to man it.
- Outside on the streets the water hydrants dribbled miserably after entertaining shrieking Hispanic kids all day long in exuberant gushes.
More definitions of hydrantDefinition of hydrant in:
- The British & World English dictionary