Definition of hydrate in English:
A compound, typically a crystalline one, in which water molecules are chemically bound to another compound or an element.
- Methane hydrate is an ice-like compound in which methane molecules are enclosed in cavities formed by water molecules.
- Methane hydrates belong to a group of compounds known as gas hydrates.
- Gas hydrate is a crystalline substance composed of gas and water.
verb[with object] Back to top
1.1 Chemistry Combine chemically with water molecules: (as adjective hydrated) hydrated silicate crystals
More example sentences
- All ions in solution are hydrated, surrounded by water molecules that bond to it through ionic attractions.
- Water bridges represent the most economical way to hydrate the surface of molecules, with an associated entropic cost.
- Caesium is a weakly hydrated alkaline metal with chemical similarities to potassium.
- Example sentences
- Water retained by the clays increased with both hydratable surface area and layer charge of the clays.
- Moisture retention coupled with the presence of hydratable oxides could result in volumetric instability.
- The solution absorbed by the hydratable layer cannot be discharged by mechanical means.
- Example sentences
- To help your eyelashes stay strong, apply mascaras that condition and strengthen the lash hair with special hydrators like panthenol and keratin.
- Bananas not only make great skin hydrators, they also can improve the health and natural elasticity of your hair.
- Always overloading, he had brought a case of extra ammo for every gun and bow, rations to last three days, the hydrator, a backup tent, and his signaling equipment for Keahi.
Words that rhyme with hydrateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight • carbohydrate
Definition of hydrate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.