Definition of hydraulic in English:
1Denoting, relating to, or operated by a liquid moving in a confined space under pressure: hydraulic fluid hydraulic lifting gear
More example sentences
- After we shot down the catapult, we saw a sheen of hydraulic fluid covering the pressure bulkhead in the back of the aircraft.
- That includes using non-toxic hydraulic oils for his machinery, and synthetic engine oils all around in the hopes of reducing maintenance downtime.
- Until now, conventional hydraulic oil would break down sooner, leaving your machine's metal abrasively scraping against metal.
2Of or relating to the science of hydraulics.
- The eleven imperial water mill visits testify to the founders' keen interest in the science of hydraulic engineering.
- Mitchell reports that further hydraulic analysis will be conducted within the next two weeks by the Water Resources Hydrology department.
- Anatomical measurements were done on samples previously used for the analysis of hydraulic parameters.
3(Of cement) hardening under water.
- If you see cracks in the walls leaking, some of these can be repaired with hydraulic cement or crack injection.
- Nevertheless, Henry knew research was expected of him, and he began investigating the chemical reactions involved in the setting of hydraulic cements.
- Example sentences
- A hydraulic hammer is basically a hydraulically powered reciprocating piston inside of a body.
- It's essentially a manual gearbox; the engine's torque is transferred mechanically, rather than hydraulically as in an automatic transmission.
- The wheels are fitted with dual circuit hydraulically operated disc brakes and anti-skid braking.
Definition of hydraulic in:
- British & World English dictionary