1 [usually treated as singular] The branch of science and technology concerned with the conveyance of liquids through pipes and channels, especially as a source of mechanical force or control.
- The first volume covered dynamics, mechanics, hydrostatics, hydraulics, aerostatics, and pneumatics.
- Cooper says customers are now looking for more support and not just commissioning products and then outsourcing support for hydraulics, manufacturing and mechanical engineering.
- In his lifetime he contributed much in the fields of mechanics, hydraulics, architecture, engineering, and natural history.
2Hydraulic systems, mechanisms, or forces.
- More complex systems utilize hydraulics and computers.
- They are particularly impressed by the hydraulics on the machine.
- The dump body is made of industrial-weight polyethylene, and the drive system uses a winch rather than costly hydraulics.
Definition of hydraulics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.