Definition of hydraulics in English:
1 [usually treated as singular] The branch of science and technology concerned with the conveyance of liquids through pipes and channels, especially as a source of mechanical force or control.
- The first volume covered dynamics, mechanics, hydrostatics, hydraulics, aerostatics, and pneumatics.
- Cooper says customers are now looking for more support and not just commissioning products and then outsourcing support for hydraulics, manufacturing and mechanical engineering.
- In his lifetime he contributed much in the fields of mechanics, hydraulics, architecture, engineering, and natural history.
2Hydraulic systems, mechanisms, or forces.
- More complex systems utilize hydraulics and computers.
- They are particularly impressed by the hydraulics on the machine.
- The dump body is made of industrial-weight polyethylene, and the drive system uses a winch rather than costly hydraulics.
Definition of hydraulics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan