Definition of hydro in English:
noun (plural hydros)
1A hydroelectric power plant.
- However, as electricity prices have fallen steadily, refurbishment has become uneconomic particularly for hydros between 10 and 50 megawatts which account for about 70% of production.
- The hydro also provides cheap electricity.
- After the station was in operation, some nearby farmers came and asked me if I could help them to build or establish their own hydro.
- In addition, the incentives for alternatives - such as hydro, solar, nuclear and - crucially biofuels - grow exponentially.
- Most people who are off the grid (at least those living in the United States), rely on some combination of alternative energy such as wind, photovoltaic or hydro.
- On the books at the moment, we have hydro, wind, geothermal, gas, and what are described as ‘various other options’ for new electrical generation in this country.
- When it comes to hydro, the standard line about more competition being good for the consumer just does not hold water.
- The investigating officer testified that the average home uses 30-50 kilowatts of hydro per day.
- Crouching in a heavy oversized winter coat inside her wintry apartment, she explained why her and her four children have been without heat and hydro for the last two months, the coldest of the year.
2British A hotel or clinic originally providing hydropathic treatment.
- In August 1857, the Furness Line opened which led to the building of more and larger hotels and hydros.
- The treatments are available at Studios as well as at selected Salons and health hydros.
- Programmes will prepare students for job opportunities in hotels, restaurants, lodges, conference facilities, theme parks, golf and country clubs, casinos, health hydros and airline catering companies.
late 19th century: abbreviation.
Definition of hydro in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia