Definition of hydroid in English:
A coelenterate of an order that includes the hydras. They are distinguished by the dominance of the polyp phase.
- Order Hydroida, class Hydrozoa
- Aside from its temporary and permanently resident fish, the underside is decorated with sponges, hydroids, tunicates, tube worms, cup corals and anemones.
- There were dense walls of soft corals, sponges, anemones and hydroids, nudibranchs, creepy-crawlies and lots of fish.
- On the walls are a riot of soft corals, sponges, hydroids and anemones in all shapes and sizes.
adjectiveBack to top
1Of or relating to coelenterates of the hydroid group.
- He had shown that hydroid jellyfish known as naked-eyed medusae reproduce not only by spewing eggs, but also by asexual budding, which he found marvelous to behold.
- The hydroid tissues, in particular, are the general run of moss water storage cells and are probably only remotely related to the xylem of tracheophytes.
- Before long, similar green proteins were detected in many bioluminescent coelenterates including various medusae, apparently all luminescent hydroid polyps, and a few others.
1.1 another term for polypoid (sense 1).
Definition of hydroid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia