Having a tendency to mix with, dissolve in, or be wetted by water. The opposite of hydrophobic.
More example sentences
- Since the phosphate group is water soluble, this part of the molecule tends to be hydrophilic.
- This phenomenon may be explained by the fact that ethanol molecules have a hydrophilic tail.
- The presence of a hydrophilic solvent such as water is needed to maintain a discoidal lipid/protein structure.
- More example sentences
- Physical chemical properties were polar requirement, hydrophilicity, molecular weight, and volume.
- The lack of activity of methylene blue when injected intravenously or intravesically may result from poor tumor localization because of its high hydrophilicity.
- This is because of their unique biological inertness, which is considered to result from hydrophilicity and chain mobility as well as lack of ionic charges.
Definition of hydrophilic in:
- The British & World English dictionary