(Of a plant) water-pollinated.
- During the period of its existence the hydrophilous flora has undergone transformations but preserved many features of natural flora.
- Aside from the hydrophilous pollination mechanism, the pollen grain morphology is also very distinct.
- Pollen grains are filamentous and pollination is hydrophilous.
- Example sentences
- This is called surface hydrophily and is relatively rare.
- Subaqueous pollination, or hydrophily, has been discussed repeatedly in the light of limited success of fertilization in the aqueous medium.
- The origins and evolution of marine angiosperms and hydrophily in the subclass were also estimated.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hydrophilous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.