Definition of hydrophobia in English:
1Extreme or irrational fear of water, especially as a symptom of rabies in humans.
- There's a stage of rabies where people develop hydrophobia, a bizarre and irrational fear of water.
- It is specific for asthma and oppressed breathing, hiccup, whooping cough, spasmodic croup, tetanus, hydrophobia, hysteria paroxysms and hysterical convulsions.
- Salivation and thirst are great but the victim cannot swallow water because of throat muscle spasm hence the misnomer hydrophobia.
1.1Rabies, especially in humans.
- Ain't that some incurable disease like hydrophobia?
- Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy.
- To protect a healthy person forever from smallpox, hydrophobia, diptheria and so on, the doctor gives him those very diseases.
Words that rhyme with hydrophobiaagoraphobia, claustrophobia, homophobia, phobia, technophobia, xenophobia, Zenobia
Definition of hydrophobia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.