Definition of hydroplane in English:
1A light fast motorboat designed to skim over the surface of water.
- Their run established a new world and national record as part of Windermere Records Week which saw high-speed watercraft - from one-man hydroplanes to offshore Formula 1 powerboats - take to the water.
- Since small outboard race boats are one of Montgomery's passions - he has five hydroplanes in his 15-boat fleet - the museum will include a section devoted to outboard racing, complete with a few boats and trophies.
- He nodded, staring out over the clear water to where the hydroplane was now visible, a dot on the horizon.
2A finlike attachment that enables a moving submarine to rise or fall in the water.
- Upstairs houses interactive tests for youngsters from mechanical diving suit arms to the art of driving a submarine using hydroplanes and the knack of positive and negative buoyancy.
- Stubborn had survived one of the worst attacks of the war, despite the loss of her aft hydroplanes and rudder, and had carried out the deepest-ever dive at the time, to an estimated 165m!
- The A7 was the first submarine in the Royal Navy to be fitted with hydroplanes on her conning tower.
3US A seaplane.
- This park has a rich history dating back to 1927 when Italy's then leader, Mussolini, built a non-military airport for the landing of hydroplanes from outlying lakes.
- Next, the man declares that he would like to take Nick flying in his hydroplane.
- A dozen of the country's top scientists and intellectuals climbed aboard a hydroplane and flew out into the Bay of Rio to welcome him.
verb[no object] North American Back to top
(Of a vehicle) slide uncontrollably on the wet surface of a road: a motorist whose car hydroplaned and crashed into a tree
More example sentences
- Jenny's mom had hydroplaned and skidded off the road.
- Markus headed for some old airplanes trying to go around them only to have his car hydroplane on a mixture of water and oil.
- A car hit this standing water, hydroplaned off the road, and crashed, killing the driver.
Words that rhyme with hydroplanechâtelaine • aquaplane
Definition of hydroplane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan