1A light fast motorboat designed to skim over the surface of water.
- Their run established a new world and national record as part of Windermere Records Week which saw high-speed watercraft - from one-man hydroplanes to offshore Formula 1 powerboats - take to the water.
- Since small outboard race boats are one of Montgomery's passions - he has five hydroplanes in his 15-boat fleet - the museum will include a section devoted to outboard racing, complete with a few boats and trophies.
- He nodded, staring out over the clear water to where the hydroplane was now visible, a dot on the horizon.
2A finlike attachment that enables a moving submarine to rise or fall in the water.
- Upstairs houses interactive tests for youngsters from mechanical diving suit arms to the art of driving a submarine using hydroplanes and the knack of positive and negative buoyancy.
- Stubborn had survived one of the worst attacks of the war, despite the loss of her aft hydroplanes and rudder, and had carried out the deepest-ever dive at the time, to an estimated 165m!
- The A7 was the first submarine in the Royal Navy to be fitted with hydroplanes on her conning tower.
3US A seaplane.
- This park has a rich history dating back to 1927 when Italy's then leader, Mussolini, built a non-military airport for the landing of hydroplanes from outlying lakes.
- Next, the man declares that he would like to take Nick flying in his hydroplane.
- A dozen of the country's top scientists and intellectuals climbed aboard a hydroplane and flew out into the Bay of Rio to welcome him.
verb[no object] North American
(Of a vehicle) slide uncontrollably on the wet surface of a road: a motorist whose car hydroplaned and crashed into a tree
More example sentences
- Jenny's mom had hydroplaned and skidded off the road.
- Markus headed for some old airplanes trying to go around them only to have his car hydroplane on a mixture of water and oil.
- A car hit this standing water, hydroplaned off the road, and crashed, killing the driver.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hydroplane in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.