verb[with object] (often as adjective hydroxylated) Chemistry
Introduce a hydroxyl group into (a molecule or compound).
- The pheromone has been partially purified and consists of several related molecules similar to hydroxylated fatty acids.
- It appears generally that hydroxylated indoles undergo photodegradation more readily than nonhydroxylated derivatives.
- Both women and men with lupus have been found to have increased concentrations of 16 - hydroxylated estrogens in the serum.
- Example sentences
- During phase I, functional groups are added to the drug, or existing functional groups are transformed through oxidation, reduction, hydroxylation, hydrolysis and so on.
- The effect of hydroxylation of the long fatty acid chain may also promote the adhesion by its participation in hydrogen bonding.
- This analysis indicated that, tentatively, increased stem elongation was accompanied by a promotion of cutin monomer hydroxylation.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hydroxylate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.