Definition of hyena in English:
- Family Hyaenidae: two genera, in particular Hyaena, and three species
- Although similar in appearance to hyenas, African wild dogs are nevertheless true wild canidae.
- Golden jackals, hyenas and even leopards are present but very rarely seen.
- I have been filming for 14 years now, working with hyenas, leopards, and jackals.
Middle English: via Latin from Greek huaina, feminine of hus 'pig' (the transference of the term probably being because the animal's mane was thought to resemble a hog's bristles).
Words that rhyme with hyenaAdelina, Angelina, arena, Argentina, ballerina, Ballymena, Bettina, Bukovina, Burkina, cantina, Cartagena, casuarina, catena, Christina, cleaner, concertina, congener, contravener, convener, Cortina, demeanour (US demeanor), deus ex machina, duodena, Edwina, Ena, farina, Filipina, galena, Georgina, Gina, gleaner, Ina, intervener, kachina, kina, Magdalena, marina, Martina, Medina, Messalina, Messina, misdemeanour (US misdemeanor), Nina, novena, ocarina, Palestrina, Pasadena, Philomena, piscina, retsina, Rowena, Sabrina, scarlatina, screener, Selina, semolina, Seraphina, Serena, Sheena, signorina, sonatina, subpoena, Taormina, tsarina, verbena, vina, weaner, Wilhelmina, Zena
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.