Definition of hymenium in English:
noun (plural hymenia-nēə)Botany
(In higher fungi) a surface consisting mainly of spore-bearing structures (asci or basidia).
- This middle layer is subtended by the hymenium which was also devoid of epiphytic organisms.
- Since the perithecium grows out into the medium from the hymenium after nuclear pairing, this is ascohymenial development.
- Unlike some related, duller-coloured species, the hymenium does not turn blood-red when it is scratched.
- Example sentences
- Then there will be either lamellae, or gills, or pores, with hymenial layers bearing the basidia.
- Beneath the gills there is a cavity, the hymenial chamber, which is still closed in this illustrated sample.
- If you cannot see them properly, push gently on the cover slip until the hymenial elements lie free in the medium.
Early 19th century: from Greek humenion, diminutive of humēn 'membrane'.
Definition of hymenium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.