Definition of hyperbola in English:
noun (plural hyperbolas or hyperbolae /-bəlē/)
1A symmetrical open curve formed by the intersection of a circular cone with a plane at a smaller angle with its axis than the side of the cone.
- There are many topics covered in the book including a study of circles, triangles, geometric series, ellipses, parabolas and hyperbolas.
- Let us begin where we left off, with the quadratic curves known as the circle, ellipse, hyperbola and parabola.
- There are three non-degenerate conics: the ellipse, the parabola, and the hyperbola.
1.1 Mathematics The pair of hyperbolas formed by the intersection of a plane with two equal cones on opposites of the same vertex.
- He read Wallis's method for finding a square of equal area to a parabola and a hyperbola which used indivisibles.
- The equation of this curve can be shown to be that of a hyperbola whose curvature is inversely related to the value of V.
- The first shows that if AB is a fixed line then locus of a point P such that 2 angle PAB = angle PBA is a hyperbola.
Words that rhyme with hyperbolaburbler
Definition of hyperbola in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan