1Relating to a hyperbola.
- In other words, in the hyperbolic disc the rectangles needed for the argument simply do not exist.
- I mean I liked it as much as I like finding the centres, vertices, foci, and asymptotes of various hyperbolic graphs.
- Whereas hyperbolic activity and elliptic motion characterizes the cab, a big rig manifests an elliptic activity and hyperbolic motion.
1.1 Mathematics (Of a function, e.g., a cosine) having the same relation to a rectangular hyperbola as the unqualified function does to a circle.
- In fact, it corresponds to the graph of a function called the hyperbolic cosine.
- See this issue's mystery mix for a comparison of Euclidean, hyperbolic, and spherical geometry.
- He studied time dependent hyperbolic partial differential equations and also began to work on the Cauchy problem.
2(Of language) exaggerated; hyperbolical.
- Amazingly enough, the tone of the article is a throwback to the hyperbolic language of the boom.
- Avoid hyperbolic language and narration that pump air into stories that have no real substance.
- They should answer hyperbolic attacks with exaggerated speech of their own, if that's what it takes to stave off political annihilation.
Words that rhyme with hyperbolicalcoholic, anabolic, apostolic, bucolic, carbolic, chocoholic, colic, diabolic, embolic, frolic, hydraulic, melancholic, metabolic, parabolic, rollick, shambolic, shopaholic, symbolic, vitriolic, workaholic
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hyperbolic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.