Definition of hyperboloid in English:
A solid or surface having plane sections that are hyperbolas, ellipses, or circles.
- In the vicinity of point M, we assume that the surface of the hyperboloid is a plane.
- Out of this work came another of Wren's important mathematical results, namely that the hyperboloid of revolution is a ruled surface.
- In 1826 he generalised his theorem to a hyperboloid of revolution, rather than a cone.
- Example sentences
- He has a Parisian optician produce hyperboloidal lenses for a demonstration, but the lenses are a failure.
- These members complete the hyperboloidal structural connections to make the new structural principle operate.
- For general hyperboloidal gears, let us now calculate and in the same way in terms of the velocity ratio.
Definition of hyperboloid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.