- 1An inhabitant of the extreme north.More example sentences
- We restricted our density calculations to birds on the water, with the exception of glaucous gulls (Larus hyperborean).
- 1.1 (Hyperborean) Greek Mythology A member of a race worshiping Apollo and living in a land of sunshine and plenty beyond the north wind.More example sentences
- He is cast or casts himself on a pyre, but is miraculously saved by Apollo and translated to the land of the Hyperboreans.
- The Scythians and the Hyperboreans (sometimes the Aethiopians) were the noble savages of the Ancients.
- This island is inhabited by the Hyperboreans there is also on the island a magnificent sacred precinct of Apollo.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to the extreme north.More example sentences
- Its grid plan, zoned districts and splendid Nevsky Prospect created a strange kind of hyperborean vertigo in those who contemplated it.
- After hearing a glopping sound hit the snow covered ground, Hugh's skinless face begins scanning the hyperborean terrain for his epidermal layer.
- The streets are quite chilled, inside my head is brisk at best and the beat, well, the beat is positively hyperborean.
late Middle English: from late Latin hyperboreanus, from Greek huperboreos, from huper 'beyond' + boreas 'north wind'.
More definitions of hyperboreanDefinition of hyperborean in:
- The British & World English dictionary