Definition of hyperextend in English:
Forcefully extend (a limb or joint) beyond its normal limits, either in exercise or therapy or so as to cause injury.
- They ensure that the patient's hips and knees are not hyperextended.
- Those who tend to hyperextend the neck due to chorea or dystonia should be encouraged and reminded to use a ‘chin-tuck’ position.
- Exercises should be done in a controlled manner, over a full range of motion and without hyperextending the joints.
- Example sentences
- Two patients underwent subsequent arthroscopic surgery for a cyclops lesion that limited full hyperextension in the knee.
- Digital nerve block followed by hyperextension and longitudinal traction successfully reduces the dislocation.
- The shoulder roll allows for hyperextension of the neonate's head, which provides greater exposure of the surgical site.
Definition of hyperextend in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan