Abnormally or excessively sensitive, either psychologically or in physical response.
- The necessity of avoiding irritating substances can force hypersensitive subjects to make numerous lifestyle changes.
- The skin is extremely painful and hypersensitive, even to air movement.
- This is a type of hypersensitive reaction triggered by exposure to an antigen (a substance which the body recognises as alien).
- Example sentences
- In the case of systemic hypersensitiveness reactions it may be necessary to initiate emergency measures.
- In other words, immunity against infectious agents is not a state of insensitivity, but rather a state of hypersensitiveness to constituents.
- In adults the percentage of hypersensitiveness was 90 percent in the immunized.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hypersensitive in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.