Definition of hypertonic in English:
1Having increased pressure or tone, in particular.
- Increasing concentrations of hypertonic saline were administered, each for 5 minutes.
- She was treated with topical corticosteroids, ofloxacin, and a 5% sodium chloride hypertonic solution.
- The use of hypertonic mannitol to treat severe cerebral edema is at the physician's discretion.
1.1 Biology Having a higher osmotic pressure than a particular fluid, typically a body fluid or intracellular fluid.
- Vasopressin continued to act in patients excreting isotonic or hypertonic urine, so hypotonic intake must be avoided in them.
- In hypertonic syndromes the brain compensates by increasing osmoles in the brain cells.
- Neurologically they are hypertonic and may have frequent episodes of apnea.
1.2 Physiology Of or in a state of abnormally high muscle tone.
- Whilst the muscles are not necessarily hypertonic in osteoporosis they are likely to have undergone fibrotic changes.
- When the nervous system becomes involved, the muscle tendon bundles remain hypertonic and pain reflexes in the area are activated.
- Example sentences
- The springs in this territory are also of a great help in curing cardiovascular diseases like hypertonia.
- Massive overdose can bring about ginseng abuse syndrome, which is characterized by hypertension, insomnia, hypertonia, and edema.
- If the patient survives the initial episode, the disorder leads to severe mental and motor retardation, growth failure, hypertonia and seizures.
- Example sentences
- The hypertonicity of the radiopaque agent draws fluid into the bowel to facilitate passage and expulsion of the tenacious meconium.
- Infant colic is characterized by excessive and inconsolable crying, hypertonicity, and wakefulness, mainly in the evening.
- This vicious cycle forces the fissure open and prevents healing, which in turn exacerbates the sphincter hypertonicity.
Definition of hypertonic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan