Definition of hypha in English:
noun (plural hyphae /-fē/)Botany
Each of the branching filaments that make up the mycelium of a fungus.
- In addition, many fungi are able to parasitize spores, sclerotia, or hyphae of other fungi, resulting in biocontrol.
- They are unique among bacteria in that they grow as branching hyphae similar to fungi as they gather nutrients from the soil.
- He also saw live dry rot in the form of mycelium and hyphae strands in the core of the brickwork.
- Example sentences
- The formation of arbuscules, arbusculate coils, hyphal coils, and vesicles within the roots of the two host plants was examined.
- For the + B plants, percentage hyphal colonization was lowest in August.
- In this process, the dikaryotic mycelium forms hyphal knots, some of which differentiate into fruitbody initials.
Definition of hypha in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia