Definition of hypha in English:
noun (plural hyphae-fē)Botany
Each of the branching filaments that make up the mycelium of a fungus.
- In addition, many fungi are able to parasitize spores, sclerotia, or hyphae of other fungi, resulting in biocontrol.
- They are unique among bacteria in that they grow as branching hyphae similar to fungi as they gather nutrients from the soil.
- He also saw live dry rot in the form of mycelium and hyphae strands in the core of the brickwork.
- Example sentences
- The formation of arbuscules, arbusculate coils, hyphal coils, and vesicles within the roots of the two host plants was examined.
- For the + B plants, percentage hyphal colonization was lowest in August.
- In this process, the dikaryotic mycelium forms hyphal knots, some of which differentiate into fruitbody initials.
Definition of hypha in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.