- 1The induction of a state of consciousness in which a person apparently loses the power of voluntary action and is highly responsive to suggestion or direction. Its use in therapy, typically to recover suppressed memories or to allow modification of behavior by suggestion, has been revived but is still controversial.More example sentences
- Others use hypnosis to recover repressed memories of sexual abuse or of past lives.
- Treatment approaches have included traditional psychoanalysis, hypnosis, and behavior therapy techniques.
- More recently you will recall the hullabaloo about the use of hypnosis to recover lost memories, to help solve crimes, or in therapy.
- 1.1The state of consciousness produced by hypnosis.More example sentences
- As far as the hypnosis goes that's a technique used by the police.
- After the hypnosis, Hal predictably meets Rosemary, a good-hearted girl that is morbidly obese.
- One of the recurring themes the hypnosis brought out was a sense that ‘people like me aren't welcome here except to serve the yuppies,’ he says.
late 19th century: from Greek hupnos 'sleep' + -osis.