Definition of hypochlorous acid in English:
A weak acid with oxidizing properties formed when chlorine dissolves in cold water, used in bleaching and water treatment.
- Chemical formula: HOCl
- It has been demonstrated, for example, that NAC has the ability to scavenge hydrogen peroxide, hypochlorous acid and the hydroxyl radical.
- In mammalian neutrophils, myeloperoxidase is a key player, converting hydrogen peroxide to hypochlorous acid.
- This effect would be exacerbated if hypochlorous acid inactivates proteinase inhibitor by oxidizing its critical methionine residue.
- Example sentences
- The hypochlorite ion is an oxidizing agent that sterilizes water by ridding it of microorganisms.
- Common household cleaners can contain simple inorganic chemicals such as sodium hypochlorite or hydrochloric acid.
- Chloroform can be made from ethanol by reacting the ethanol with calcium hypochlorite.
Definition of hypochlorous acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia