Definition of hypocritical in English:
Behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case: we don’t go to church and we thought it would be hypocritical to have him christened it would be entirely hypocritical of me to say I regret it, because I don’t
More example sentences
- To begrudge them the right to choose their own government via the ballot box is hypocritical in the extreme.
- The lack of transparency contributes to the cynicism and hypocritical views.
- So the Congress sometimes rakes up the issue of secularism, which is so hypocritical that it is funny.
- Example sentences
- Indeed, you engage in precisely this sort of rhetoric yourself while hypocritically decrying the heated rhetoric of the left.
- More hypocritically still, Missing pursued an abortive licensing agreement with a skateboard company to use his anarchist icon.
- The yellow press will harp on it, hypocritically.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia